Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Captured

A very smart person once talked of a messiah crucified. Huh? Another time, the smartest man to ever live once told a grown man to be born again. Yeah... I got you bro?? Many scriptures that make up the Bible and outline the Christian faith seem to make us scratch our head more than give us clear insight. It is in this area of thought that we find our reason to be completely inadequate. If we can bring ourselves to a place of understanding that we cannot understand we will start to understand...(I know I would be asking a lot of you to still be with me but please read on...)

Just kidding... I am here.

During worship, I sometimes tend to not sing and just reflect on the words in the songs that we are offering to God in worship and in praise. Sort of praying the lyrics silently, going to a place where me and God are alone and I can give him the worship and praise personally. I will draw a picture or create a scene that will accurately portray the meaning of the words and phrases of the songs; that is where me and God meet.

I was recently in a worship service. One of the songs we were singing talked of being "captured by grace". Here is the deal... That doesn't make sense! Listen (or read) for a second. Think about the word capture. In my experience of hunting, the captured animal does not want to be captured. How about a prisoner of war? I am pretty sure the soldier did not intend on being captured. Most of the time, to be captured would indicate that the thing to be captured would have been running from the thing that captured it. Why would we run from grace?

Typically you don't run from a better situation. If a million dollars were chasing you down the street, then once you figured out you could keep it, you would probably stop running. Another part of the song that was influencing the created meeting location for God and I was the word and thought of being rescued.

I was in the woods. (I like to hike and have had the feeling of being lost; not fun) I was now running swiftly, in no particular direction and that feeling of being lost and chased where making my heart pound more than usual. Suddenly, all the horrible feelings of never being found was lifted from my heart as it's beating calmed to a resting rate. I realized then, I was no longer lost. I was also no longer being chased. I immediately knew where I was. Confident that it was the right place. I was captured by Grace. Hey, that rhymed.

Some things we cannot understand. Us running from a God that is simply trying to love us... we cannot understand.

God is chasing you. Why run? Why remain lost? Be found. Be captured by Grace.

No comments: